What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Thoughtful and Thought-Provoking

are two words to describe Chris Crutcher, I think, after reading King of the Mild Frontier:  an Ill-Advised Autobiography.
Crutcher's website describes him as an author and a loud-mouth.  After reading some of Crutcher's experiences and his reflections upon his time as a therapist and child advocate, Crutcher can't help but be a loud mouth and it benefits the world when he is.  He is man of incredible wisdom and compassion, two things that we need more of in this life.
He grew up in the small town of Cascade, Idaho, in a family where kids called their parents by their first names (something to which Crutcher calls attention and, this is neither here nor there, drives me crazy) and he often had to fight against his own terrible temper.
I loved Crutcher's honesty.  I was disappointed that he is not a Christian, just because I know the love and peace that comes from being a Christian.  And I want everyone to experience that.  And I also worry about people who were Christians and aren't now have given up on Christianity because of the way in which it is defined in some (most) circles.  But again, that is neither here nor there.
I have read books by Crutcher in the past and now want to read more.  This is a very entertaining and insightful biography.  It didn't just provide insight into Crutcher the author and the man, but into human nature itself.  I especially appreciated his opinion on the word "perfect."  Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment