What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Jubilee Year

There is something that is niggling in the back of my mind...about a Jubilee Year and what that celebration means.  I think it has something to do with religious orders.  I am going to google.  I mean, I know it means other things, but the aspect that is niggling at me in particular is Jubilee Year as it pertains to religious orders.
Hang on...
Oh it is a BIG thing.  Here it is.
And this BIG thing in the Roman Catholic Church.
And here is the anniversary aspect.
In any case, Jubilee doesn't have anything to do with an anniversary.  But the book is joyful.  And the book is a celebration, even if it is heart-breaking at times.  To borrow an old cliche, it is a celebration of the human spirit.  This girl, Judy (her aunt calls her Jubilee because she is such a joyful celebration to her), she has tons of strength and she is wicked smart.
This is just a really, really powerful and simple and complex story.  I really like Patricia Reilly Giff a whole, whole lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment