What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, January 19, 2017

"I was listening to NPR..."

When I hear someone say that I know I am outta my league.  But the thing is...some of the shows that folks say they heard on NPR, really aren't on NPR!  For example, On Being- that's American Public Media, right? So is Prairie Home Companion.  And Freakonomics Radio is WNYC.  And Fresh Air is on WBEZ.  But I digress. Shocking.  Regardless, most people who listen to NPR or WNYC or APM or PRX are smart people. Intellectual people.  And I am none of those things.  Regardless, I DID find Ghostland:  An American History in Haunted Places on NPR's website!  While Stoned explained some great history through the use of stories about famous jewels and the like, and Far and Away looked at some massively important historical events through the travels of Andrew Solomon, Ghostland looks at historical times through tales of haunted places and ghosts.
I found this book to be awesome.  Having a great love of ghost stories and haunted places and a strong like for history and an even stronger like of American history in particular, this was a fascinating way to look at some of the most horrible events and institutions country's past.   I love the way this guy thinks.  Excellent book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment