What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, March 5, 2018

Last Summer

We went to Utah.  It was grand.  Just grand.  Amazing and beautiful and beyond words....one of the coolest places we stayed was Cedar City.  We stayed in an airbnb and the woman who owned the place was super, incredible nice.  She told us a lot about the fundamentalist Mormons who lived around the town.  Apparently after the Warren Jeffs horror, the followers who remained relocated to CC. 
We also went to Salt Lake and visited the Salt Lake Temple.  Which is part of the LDS, not the FLDS, but it sparked a lot of interest in both groups. 
Last year on a podcast I can't remember I heard an interview with Tara Westover, talking about her upbringing and how she didn't have a social security number and so therefore, didn't exist until her aunt could sign an affidavit that she really did exit.  I can't for the life of me find it now, but since then she has published Educated and is telling her story other places. 
This book is more about mental illness and abusive families than faith.  And Westover says that right in the beginning.  What a story.  What a book.  What a brave woman. 
Her parents and some of her siblings have disowned her, this is their business here.  Really good book and I wish Ms. Westover the best.  She is a brave, brave and resilient woman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment