What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, March 10, 2018

Science

isn't something for which I have a passion, but I certainly appreciate those who do.  It was good to do something a little (lot) out of my element and read in the Who Was/Is series about Jane Goodall, Galileo, Ben Franklin, Neil Armstrong, Marie Curie and Steve Jobs.
I learned a lot because I basically knew nothing about Armstrong and Goodall except the very, very basics.  I gave Galileo less stars because he caved to the Inquisition and renounced what he knew to be true scientifically.  I mean, I am not sure if he did this for faith reasons, not wanting to go against the Church, or if he did it just to save his earthly life.  I need to look into that more. The other reason I gave it a 3 was the whole explanation of the pendulum thing.  I mean, I know I am not a bright bulb, especially when it comes to science, but I STILL don't get it!  And as far as the recanting goes... I don't know...after looking around it seems like he did recant just to save his own skin.  Which makes really no sense if he was as devout as he claimed to have been.  I mean, the earthly body they may kill, right?
The Marie Curie book was interesting to me in that I had always called her Madame Curie and I guess I should have realized that Madame Curie means Mrs. Curie!  People didn't even use her first name!?!  She was just Mr. Curie's wife!
The Ben Franklin one was okay.  I was biased because I have zero interest in the American Revolutionary War.  Isn't that terrible?
I knew next to nothing about Jane Goodall, so this was a great introduction. 
My knowledge of Steve Jobs was limited to the movie and the fact that I have always insisted on Apple products since I started using the Mac Plus.  I loved my Mac Performa 460!
I would tell everyone, "They cost more but they are SO worth it."  Windows 95 is Mac 84!"
But these days, I can't say that same.  I know they last forever.  At least my laptop is still going strong, I bought it in 2009.  But the thing is, lately, the way that iPhones seem to fail right when a new one comes out (though I hear that can be solved if you don't update your software because older iPhones aren't really meant for the new software).  I just don't know, though.  But that is not to rip on Jobs.  He was obviously a brilliant man and wow, he did do so much.  Not necessary fun to work with or for, but not as mean as he came across in the movie?  I don't know.  I gotta read more about him.  So this book its job! 

No comments:

Post a Comment