What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Slacking

Slacker is a book that I know will have much appeal.  It is funny and it short and it is well done.  I will easily be able to recommend this book.  I just didn't give it the full five stars because it wasn't for me. 
The cover turns me off right way because while I know the animal on the cover is a beaver, it just reminds me of that horrible movie Caddyshack and with the whole gopher subplot going on and I really, really found that movie repulsive most because of the swimming book incident.  In fact, completely because of the swimming pool incident because it is just that awful.  So right away I am judging a book by its cover for a completely ridiculous connection that isn't even there.
Many apologies to Mr. Korman who really is a great writer. 
The book features a kid who is a slacker, except when it comes to gaming.  And the rest of the story I really liked, but the whole beaver angle, even without the cover issue just didn't appeal to me.  Still, I can recommend this book to others who aren't as ridiculous as I am! 

No comments:

Post a Comment