What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

When do I read what?

Sometimes, if you come late to a series, after many books in it are already out, it can be hard to figure out the order in which the books should be read, if you want to read them in order. And then there are those series in which even the order itself is hard to define because maybe the author wrote the first one second or something weird- like the whole Chronicles of Narnia thing. Then there's the whole prequel thing. And the companion books- like Stuck in Neutral and Cruise Control by Terry Trueman. Do you have to read Stuck in Neutral first? Because it was written first? Or how about a series that doesn't really say outright that the second book is a prequel, but it is, like Fire and Graceling, but if you read them in either order it is still kinda cool? Well one of the reasons why I liked Twelve is that Eleven was before it and Thirteen comes after it, so as long as you know that it all starts with Eleven, and you can count pretty well, you know in which order to read them! And if you don't know yet how to count up that high, then even though these books are easy to read, and found with younger kid fiction, you probably want to wait and read them until you are eleven or at least ten and so on up through the ages because for one thing, you'll enjoy it more because its so realistic and its probably what you're going through right then. And for another thing, if your folks are on the more conservative side, and you're younger, they might not like you reading books that talk about erections. I'm not saying that to make people ban these books or keep them out of people's hands, I'm just saying that these are the kind of books that some people raise a big fuss about in schools and libraries. Like Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret. Which is even mentioned in this series but, in my opinion, isn't anywhere near as good. I just think that most of Judy Blume's characters, with the exception of the ones in the early Fudge books are pretty mean. I know kids can be mean, but Blume writes as if nearly ever kid is a total dirtbag jerk. it makes me think that either she was or that kids really picked on her a lot and she's still out to get them. Something makes me think it could be both. Anyway, this whole series by Lauren Myracle is, as real reviewers say, a 'delight' plain and simple, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment