What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Kissing on the Kindle

In order to see if I could keep my reading going, I immediately downloaded another Myracle book to my Kindle account and read it on the BlackBerry. I just don't like reading on the Kindle, but I am glad I have one, so that I can read stuff on the BB. That's totally easy and fun to do and I almost might like that more than reading a book, but I am not sure...just not sure...
Kissing Kate is the first book, I think, that I read this year that deals with female homosexuality. It has a fabulous cover. Lissa and Kate are BFFs and there seems to have always been this "something is wonderfully different" between them, but it isn't until they are almost seniors in high school that this "something wonderfully different" manifests itself into a kiss and a make-out session in a friend's backyard while Kate is a bit drunk. After the little make-out session, Kate is freaked and wants to forget it all, but Lissa really feels like she is in love and ready to explore what she and Kate may have. Kate wants to just go back to being friends.
As you can imagine, this puts a big-time stress deal on their friendship and their relationships with boyfriends and potential boyfriends.
One reviewer said that they didn't like the ending, but I think it ended the way it should have. Life doesn't always wrap itself up in a neat little ending. What do you think?
I liked this book a whole lot. I think it shows that Myracle can write deeper stuff, even though I am NOT complaining about her other stuff, clearly I love it, but this book was very different and very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment