What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Love That Chaos

A million years ago I read a book called Love That Dog. I loved that book. I won't read the sequel because its called Hate That Cat and even though I have both cats and dogs I really belive that cats rule and dogs are ok. Anyway. I never read another book by Sharon Creech. Not for any particular reason. Just because I never happened upon one! Well I happened upon a Creech book the other day on cd. And what a gem! Absolutely Normal Chaos is a coming of age novel told in diary format. Mary Lou is the second of five children living in a loving but absolutely normal chaotic household in Easton, PA. Listening to this this book I was again reminded what a nut Margaret Simon is. Mary Lou is a typical pre-teen. She can be nasty. She can be jealous. She can also be a human being. Her best friend can be a total jerk. But she is not without a soul and probably won't show up on Oxygen's Snapped when she grows up. Mary Lou's English teacher has given her class the assignment of keeping a journal over the summer. Mary Lou's summer journal fills us Mary Lou's English teacher has given her class the assignment of keeping a journal over the summer. Mary Lou's summer journal fills us is also the story of a young man finding out about his past and what it means for his future. There were times when I laughed out loud while listening to this book. A neat, different story. And no way, no way would I want Mary Lou to be stuck in the same class with with Miserable Margaret and the Pre-Teen Sociopaths.

1 comment:

  1. You should read Hate That Cat, especially if you enjoyed Love That Dog. Now, I am a cat lover through and through. I actually dislike dogs quite a bit, especially big ones that jump or any one that barks too much. But having a preference shouldn't play apart in reading these books. Don't let the title discourage you from reading it; it's a beautiful book that made me tear up a little. Pretend it's called something else if that helps... :-)

    ReplyDelete