What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Summer's End

So summer ends officially in a few days. I wanted to read It's Not Summer Without You before fall started and I was actually able to do
it. It's was a great book for me to read now. Not just because it's about summer but because it's about closure. Endings and memories.
and making sense of the past, letting it go and finding a way to live now.
For millions of people, September will always have one common remembrance. The day when the world stopped turning for us, as individuals, as a nation. September 11, 2001 was yet another day that will live in infamy. Every September 11, like every December 7 will be tainted by the blood that was shed by the actions of incomprehensible people. We will not, we must not ever forget and let these days become just pages on the calendar, just another day.
Each of us probably has our own individual days when it seemed like the world stopped turning. On Friday, September 16, 2005 I lost my dear friend, Joanie. She lost an earthly battle with cancer, but won her place in Glory Land.
I was nearly half way through It's Not Summer Without You on September 16 this year and so perhaps the book was more powerful to me than it might have been on a different day, in a different month, but I'm not sure.

A moving sequel. I recommend this whole-heartedly. But keep a tissue nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment