What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Perfect Ten

Awhile back I heard a terrible rumor that Thirteen Plus one was the last book in the Winnie Series.  There was much sadness!  But then....then...I heard that Ten was coming out and it did!  It came out yesterday and I read it yesterday and there was much rejoicing!  I got to read two new Myracle books in one week!  I am a lucky gal, indeed!
This week was a very cool week because the coolest thing happened--- THE Lauren Myracle read my review of Shine and wrote on the blog!  That also speaks to how down-to-earth Ms. Myracle must be, to take the time to comment on a silly blog like mine!
As I have said in many of my Myracle reviews (and to a lot people in person) I find it totally bizarre that people compare Myracle to Judy Blume.  Myracle is so much better.  Her characters have so much more depth and her story lines are just head and shoulders above anything Blume has ever written.  I do give Blume credit for being a ground-breaking writer.  I get that.  She was the first to do what she did.  I understand.
Okay.  Look at it this way.  Ella Fitzgerald was before Judy (be sure to check the link, I'm not talking about Blume!)  Ella broke TONS of barriers.  She was extremely talented.  Heck, she is known as The First Lady of Song!  Judy came after her, and was compared to her, but there really is no comparison.  I mean Judy is just better.  The difference is though that Ella really was talented AND a ground-breaker.  Judy Blume?   Yes, a ground-breaker.   But if Ella and Judy were both singing today, they would be both be successful.  Would Blume be successful today?  No.  Take a look at some of her later books like Double Fudge, for example, and I am sure you will come to the same conclusion.
I know I am prejudiced because I simply don't like the nastiness of most of Blume's characters.  Why was Beverly Clearly able to create characters without GIANT chips on their shoulders?  Why is Lauren Myracle?
Yikes!
I got nasty, didn't I?  I am sorry...I know that I should be so anti-Blume.  I do appreciate her contributions and the stand she has taken against censorship.  I do.  I guess I just don't "get" characters that are mean for no reason.
This is why I am NOT a professional reviewer.
Back to Ten.
How I wish I would have had these when I was growing up.  And how I recommend these to everyone to read and to give to their daughters or granddaughters.  I expected Ten to be delightful and spot-on and it was.  It exceeded all my expectations.
I wish I could have been friends with Winnie!  When I go to do booktalks at schools, I am never surprised at all of the girls that tell me that same thing.
Excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment