What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Dear, Old Friend

It has been a long time since I've read a Matt Scudder book. There's a reason for that. This is the first Scudder book Block has done since 2006. If Block wrote one a month, I'd read them all.
I haven't read about Scudder in more than four years, but A Drop of the Hard Stuff was like seeing an old friend after a long time apart, but being able to pick up right where you left off.
Matthew Scudder's history is long and storied.  A former gold shield for the NYPD, Scudder lost it all because of his alcoholism.  A lot of his books talk about his getting sober and solving crimes,  and keeping himself from getting killed.  I could fall in love with a man like Matthew Scudder.
In Hard Stuff, Scudder recounts a story from his first year of sobriety and it is filled with the all of the intrigue and wisdom that Block offers in every book.  No one writes like Mr. Block.  I hope he keeps writing for a long, long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment