What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

This book is something...

Wow...this book takes you places.  Chicago, Iowa, North Carolina, Scotland and oh yes, to the grave and back. 
It's the kind of book that made me say things like, "No way!" and "What!"  and I felt my heart racing and I had to squeeze my eyes shut a few times to take a break from the horror of it at times.
It shouldn't have surprised me though, as Guillermo Del Toro wrote of Rotters, "Rotters is uncompromising, dark and true."  If he is calling something dark...well, it's dark.  del Toro produced one of my most favorite films, The Orphanage which is dark...but well, I think it is also hopeful.  I will leave you to form your own opinions about whether or not Rotters is hopeful.
Daniel Kraus has written a one of a kind book.  And the book trailer is great, too.  You can check it out on his website there.
Joey is sixteen and living in Chicago when his mother dies.  He is then sent to live with his father in a small town in Iowa.  He's never met his father and he soon finds that his father seems to have no interest in getting to know him.  His father has an interesting job.  The crueler folks of the town call him The Garbageman, but that might be too kind of a name.
This book is full-on, relentless horror.  I loved it, all 448 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment