What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, February 20, 2012

New Tunes

So I read Vinyl Princess right after Why We Broke Up and I found myself re evaluating WWBU. Vinyl Princess is the story of 16 year old Allie who lives in Berkeley with her mom and works at an independent record store on Telegraph Avenue called Bob and Bob's. The story is bascially a coming of age story, done very well. One thing that is especially enjoyable about this book is that Allie is vinyl nut and music is her life. She starts her own blog to celebrate vinyl and the music she loves and she writes about LPs and bands as she is telling this story of her summer spent working at Bob and Bob's, her home away from home.
In WWBU, Min was a movie nut, but the author used fake actors, directors and movies and so there was so fun or point in looking up the movies she talks about, you didn't get to experience anything new reading the book. It was just kind of annoying. Other books have done what VP does, and personally, I really like it. I didn't know a lot of music she talked about but anyone who loves Gram Parsons and Emmylou, well...you know they have it going on. And so now, what I learned in VP, will allow me to experience more artists. I see that Daniel Handler, the author of WWBU wrote a positive review of VP and it is included on the book's website, so I just wonder why Handler didn't do the same thing. Maybe he thought it would be too much of a copy kind of thing, but other books have done this, so I just don't know why Handler used made up movies and actors for his book. I still really, really liked WWBU, but I just wondered, that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment