What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Why We REALLY Broke Up

Dear Min,

The real reason Why We Broke Up has to do with the way that you always looked down on me and judged me as some kind of dumb jock. You had me all figured out even before I came up to you at Al's party. Even when I was doing things that you enjoyed and learning to love and appreciate them and you, you second guessed me and felt that I was faking it. We broke up because I'm human, and so sorry, not as smart as you are, and not as hip or as indie or as avant-garde or as cool, so yeah, I just really didn't know how to handle things. But I did love you. We broke up because you never even asked about my mom. You are mad that I never brought it up, but I did, a few times, mentioning things here and there, like saying she was still at the Clinic, waiting to see if you cared enough to even ASK how she was doing. When you don't ask about how other people are, Min, it really shows how little you care. So that's why we broke up, Min.
Now stop jerking Al around, like you have been for years and go be with him.
Peace out,
Ed
I had to tell the story from Ed's side of things. I had to. I really, really liked this book a lot. The characters are very real, even if I only found Ed to be sympathetic. It's a book written in letter form, letters from Min to Ed, her ex-boyfriend, explaining to him all of the reasons why they broke up. It is one-sided of course and so that's why I had to put in some words from Ed. I didn't like Min at all. It doesn't excuse what happened, but nothing excuses Min's snobby and cruel treatment of Ed, her friends and pretty much everyone.

It's a good book. Check out their tumblr site to tell your own tale of love gone wrong.
It is written by the man who wrote A Series of Unfortunate Events. I've never read those, but they sure were popular.

Oh just one more minor complaint...one of Min's friends has very right-wing Christian parents who send her off to church camp and espouse very right-wing conservative views, however in one scene, she mentions that her mother has a St. Vincent medal. Does not compute. Like The Last Exorcist. Nit-picky, but not really if you know anything about right-wing Protestants and Roman Catholics.

No comments:

Post a Comment