What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Too Much Time Has Passed

When I was a kid, I loved Snow Treasure! LOVED IT! And so when we had to pick books to read for work, man...I called Snow Treasure right away.
Ugh.
It has been thirty years or more since I read ST and it just really hasn't held up. Its not as terrible as AYTGIMM, but it is pretty bad.
Children rode their sleds down to the beach with hidden gold bricks where a ship took the gold to the US.
The things that make this book unappealing are things that I missed when I was a kid. Before the Nazis invaded Norway, the folks in the book say things like, "We've no quarrel with anyone and no one has a quarrel with us." page 17. I don't know...it just kinda reminds me of First They Came. Also this dude named Per Gerson, he's just a jerk.
Basically it's just that the book is very dated. It took a long time to finish this one. I'm interested to know what kids think of this book today.

No comments:

Post a Comment