What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What I Read and How I Loved It


What I Saw and How I Lied is incredible.  What a wonderfully written story.  So different and so real.  No stereotypes, no easy answers, no people who are all good or all evil.  Just real and real and real.  And interesting.  WISAHIL takes place following WW2.  Evie is 15 and on the verge of womanhood and this is very much a coming-of-age story for her and also for our country.  The racism is painful, of course and I found myself sickened by it.
Evie's mom is beautiful and glamourous, her step-father Joe is a good guy, a WW2 vet who doesn't like to talk about the war and we do find out why.
Joe is a changed man when he come back from the war and soon after he is home he takes Evie and her mom to Palm Beach and they stay in a swanky hotel for many weeks.  The book ends with a tragedy and is quite the mystery.  This is a book of mystery and history and normal growing up drama and more than that.  What an incredible book, one that I got lost in and would highly recommend to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment