What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

WOW!


I have loved Rachel Cohn since the Gingerbread series and I love everything she does, but when I saw that this was a dysoptian/fantasy/sci-fibook I had my doubts.  Cohn is just so good at writing very realistic contemporary fiction, I thought this might be bad.  
I was so wrong.  Beta grabbed me from the first page.   It its a truly unique edition to dystopian YA fiction that stands above the crowd.  The characters, even the clone ones, are so human and real.  This story of a future where clones are developed to serve humans is written so well and with such heart that it truly feels like this could happen.  
As a Beta teen clone, in a world of mostly adult clones, Elysia is experiencing coming-of-age struggles similar to a human.  Even though Elysia isn't fully human, a teen can really relate to her desires and questions.  
Fantastic book and I am thrilled to see that it is a series! 

No comments:

Post a Comment