What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Friday, September 7, 2012

Sharon Flake Can Do No Wrong!


Wow.  I love Sharon Flake, not just because she is from Pittsburgh, like me, but that is cool, but because she is just such an excellent writer.  I couldn't wait to read Pinned and I was not disappointed.  What a wonderful, inspiring, at times, heart-breaking novel.  
Autumn and Adonis are very different, but alike in many ways.  They both have a disability to live with:  Adonis was born without legs and Autumn has extreme difficulty with reading and math.  Autumn is in love with Adonis, but Adonis is stoic, a brave face, not needing anyone or anything but himself.  The thing is, they both need each other.  Autumn is a wrestler and a darn good one and so high school wrestling plays a big and important, interesting role in the book as well.  I recall watching a female wrestler at Hampton many years ago and can't imagine the strength it takes to be a wrestler, let alone a female one.
The main characters are so real, it reads like a real diary.  The secondary characters are interesting and important.  There's a lot going on in this little book.   
Fantastic book.  Will recommend to all and purchase for our library.  Can't wait until it is released so that I can book talk it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment