What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, September 6, 2012

SPOILERS!

The first thing to know about Hooked is that the jacket description is way off!  When I first read the jacket I thought, why bother to read the book?  It is like one of those movie trailers that gives the whole thing away.  But after I read the book I thought, um, the jacket really got a lot wrong.  So that was weird.
 
From Cool Mom to Grandmom
Hooked is well written and fast paced and I ripped through it, but I really didn't like Thea's mother at all.  She was obnoxious and a terrible parent (maybe she should "foster") and she was so completely selfish.  She is so super European COOL that she likes to share details of her sex life with her daughter.  Gross!  Who wants to hear that?  And she is always ripping on uptight Americans.  Then go home, Limey!  
Anyway, Thea is a junior in high school at Stuyvestant High School and she meets Will and they fall in love.  Even when he goes to school at Columbia they stick together and Thea ends up getting pregnant.  They decide to keep the baby, well that's what the jacket says, but really Thea does, and Will is a huge jerk about it.  And they live happily together, even though their parents are upset and disappointed.  But the jacket says that they are happy.  Not at all.  Then the book
jacket says that there is a freak accident!  It threatens to tear this non-existant happy little family apart.  Again, not true.  There never was a happy family.  
I did like the book, but I liked How to Save a Life and The First Part Last and Pregnant Pause and Love and Haight better, all because of the off-putting Brit!

No comments:

Post a Comment