What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Funny Book

Let's Pretend This Never Happened:  A Mostly True Memoir isn't my typical kind of book at all.  I like funny things!  I like David Sedaris a lot.  I was at work on Saturday and a young girl recommended this book to me.  I am embarrassed to say that I hadn't heard of Jenny Lawson before!  I must be under a rock.  Before listening to book I started reading her blog some, and she is very, very funny!  This book is also very funny.  Lawson is extremely likable.  It received mostly really great reviews on goodreads.com, but some people were upset by it and wrote that it was not funny and/or offensive.  I am not sure what is offensive about it.  I mean, there is swearing, but is swearing offensive anymore?  I don't really swear anymore.  I used to do it a lot, but I got tired of it, but I don't think that it is evil.  And I know a lot of really nice people who swear, who even swear way too much.  I don't know.  There are also some people who say that she is failing at trying to be a David Sedaris or a Dave Barry.  I like Dave Barry, but I haven't read much of his stuff.  And like I said, I love David Sedaris, but I don't think that Jenny Lawson is trying to be either of them.  No more than they are trying to be each other.  Or that they are trying to be Erma Bombeck.  I don't know.  Very weird.  I also think maybe the people who don't like this book were thinking, "I could have written this book." A few people said that in their negative reviews, actually.  Maybe they can!  But they didn't.  And so well, either write it and maybe the world will love it, or just be quiet.  She also has some serious stuff in it, too.  Which I found to be very touching.  When she talks about meeting her husband, it is very sweet.  When she talks about losing her first babies, it is very sad and open and real.  I don't read blogs much, but I will read any books that come out by her, because this was just a really good one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment