What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

I didn't know this was a trilogy! But I am glad it is!

A few years back I was blown away by Countdown.  And now I found Revolution. Revolution follows different characters and the main one in this story is Sunny.  She lives in Greenwood, Mississippi and this book was set during Freedom Summer.
There is so much to learn in this book.  Just like Countdown, it contains newspaper clippings and quotes and since I listened to the audio book I heard songs as well.  I hope that school is different now, but in my day we didn't learn anything about the SNCC or heroes like Ella Baker.  Heck, we didn't even learn much about Malcolm and Martin.  It was only when I got to seminary when I was 21 and read Malcolm and Martin and America:  an American Dream or a Nightmare? that I learned anything in depth about the men.  I am not blaming my schooling entirely.  Sure I could have and should have done some self-educating and my parents should have had a part in insisting that I learn about these important people and events from our history, so I am not blaming school alone, I am just saying that I hope that things have changed.
Excellent look into the past and while I didn't enjoy the characters as much as I did in Countdown, this still is a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment