What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Not My Usual, but Great!

So a dear colleague of mine, a lady I have known since I was a young teen brought The Patron Saint of Ugly  to a meeting and told me that her cousin had written it.  I thought to myself, this really isn't the kind of book I would usually read.  But now that I have read it, I realize that one of the reasons it isn't the kind of book that I would usually read is because this book is incredibly unique and I don't think there ARE any other books out there like this one!
Marie Manilla lives in West Virginia and teaches at Marshall University.  My friend told me that while this story is sort of based on their family, it isn't what one would call a true story.
I have to say I really loved this book.  The main character is being investigated by the Vatican because there are claims that she is a saint, one who has brought about many healings- healings of skin aliments.  Garnet is an unwilling saint, if she is one and the book consists of her audio recordings, made for the Vatican, answering the investigatory questions.
This book is truly funny and although my friend gave a copy, I purchased the audio book so that my mom could listen, too and I am glad I did.  It was well worth it.
If you are Italian and Roman Catholic, I think that you would especially like this book.  Great stuff.  I look forward to another book from Ms. Manilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment