What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Fleischman Guys

I have forever been mixing up Sid Fleischman and Paul Fleischman.  Granted, this is easier to do that mixing up say, Tom Sawyer and Diane Sawyer.  It is harder to do than mix up a lump of coal with Fred Phelps.  But once I write this, I will never mix up father and son, Sid and Paul Fleischman again.
Sid Fleischman:
Author of Disappearing Act and Escape:  the story of the Great Houdini, both of which I loved.
Won the Newbery for The Whipping Boy.
Has gone Home to the Lord.
Was in to magic.
Paul Fleischman:
Author of one of my most favorite books in the whole world, Seedfolks.  Also wrote A Fate Totally Worse than Death and Graven Images, both of which I loved.
Won the Newbery for Joyful Noise:  poems in two voices, which I read many years ago and I have performed the one about the Queen Bee and the Worker Bee!   This book is mentioned in Disappearing Act!
He is still among us living.
Both take very handsome pictures!
Both create really neat stories that are life-like and original, like Disappearing Act, which is the story of a brother and sister who are on their own, running away from the sister's stalker.  They head to Venice, California, in LA and the stalker follows them there.  In Venice they hook up with characters who are quirky and fun and real.  Holly is a budding opera singer and so there are references to La bohème  because Holly gets the part of Mimi is a local production.  Great opera, not my favorite, I think Tosca is, but if this book causes someone to investigate Puccini further, they will get there, too! So that is awesome!  
Anyway, great little story.  Lots of fun!   

No comments:

Post a Comment