What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Friday, November 14, 2014

Courage

Courage for Beginners is by Karen Harrington who wrote Sure Signs of Crazy.  I loved Sure Signs of Crazy!  I was so excited to see CFB available for audio download from the library!
It is very clear to me that Ms. Harrington must have/have had a wonderful father.  The dads in SSOC and CFB are really incredible dudes.  Human with faults, sure, but the kind of men with hearts of loving fathers.
Harrington has tackled another tough subject with this book:  agoraphobia. But again, like SSOFC, this book is life like, in that the "big" problem isn't the only one. So this isn't just a book about a family dealing with agoraphobia, but family dealing with all of the things that a family deals with, plus the hell of mom's agoraphobia.  Bullying, belonging, middle school, coming of age, a life-threatening accident, self-esteem, friendship.  All of this, just like life, and written so well, that even though Mysti's life is (like all of ours) full of different challenges and problems, this isn't a "problem book," just a very, very well written book about a real family.  Love this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment