What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Oh boy...

Okay. That was really bad. Not Wintergirls bad. Castration Celebration isn't pretending to be a good or important book-oh Glory, at at least I HOPE it isn't!
This book is more like The Sorority series. Mindless fun about sex. There's really nothing else to it. No character development or decent plot. Its just a book meant to be hilarious. And is kinda funny, but just like The Sorority series, leave your brain somewhere else and just enjoy it. Its dirty like I Love You Beth Cooper, but its not as smart and so I'm pretty sure its just meant to be cheese and fun. The cover is a parody of High School Musical with the same kind of font and the teens dancing around on the cover. The only bad thing is no one really remembers HSM anymore so the cover joke is kind of pointless. Its not as entertaining as The Sorority. But there are some funny parts.
The deal is we get introduced to five teens who are at a summer arts camp at Yale. The two main characters are Olivia and some guy...Max, that's right! Like I said, I don't think you're supposed to remember the characters. Olivia found out her dad cheated on her mom so she's given up on boys and is going to spend the summer writing a musical called Castration Celebration. Which is a really great premise! She meets Max though, and is tempted to get into a relationship with him. Max tries his best to woo her. There's a whole play-within-a-play thing going on as Olivia writes her musical, the characters paralleling Max and herself. There's also a lot of sampling from Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing. So much sampling that it reminded me of the whole Hootie and the Blowfish-Bob Dylan controversy.
Anyway, like I said this book was an okay attempt at a mindless, dirty, funny book so take it for what it is. Nothing great or even good, not even fair, but it wasn't trying to be, so no harm done! I was really surprised it was in hardcover though. Like it seems to me it should have been a paperback. Maybe they were going on the hope that the HSM cover would attract people but if so, they should have done it a year or two earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment