What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Picture of Lobster and Beth Fantaskey coming soon!

So this week I was extremely fortunate to attend the PaLA conference in Lancaster,  PA.  It was an awesome time and I'll write about it later, but for now I just want to say that I got to meet Beth Fantaskey, the author of Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side that I've been recommending to a bunch of folks this year.  I wonder if authors think it's weird when people get all fangirlie or fanboylie around them.  I mean I know that they are regular folks, but to me, an author is someone who if first, really talented and second, willing to put themselves out there for criticism when they share their gifts and talents with the world.  To me, that is pretty huge.  When that author has happened to write something that has stuck with me personally, then I am even more in awe and appreciation.  I guess that's why it was a big deal that Ms. Fantaskey was so totally humble and cool when I had the chance to talk with her briefly.  She even allowed her picture to be taken with Lobster.  Now that was way cool!
Ms. Fantaskey received the Carolyn W. Field Award this year for Jessica's Guide.  Her speech was so gracious and I know that she gained a lot of faithful fans at the ceremony.  I was so thrilled to see that Jessica's Guide won this year.  Ever since I finished it, I have been recommending it to adults and teens and have received the same response- those readers loved it, too!
While at PaLA I discovered that Fantaskey has another book out, Jekel Loves Hide.  I am nearly done with it and I will tell you right now-- it is soooooo excellent!!!!
What a great author!  I hope there are many, many more to come from this truly cool and gracious author!

No comments:

Post a Comment