What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Ain't No Peace for an Angry Young Man


Great song.
After reading Inexcusable I was excited to find Angry Young Man, the new Chris Lynch novel, on the shelves of the local library.  AYM is short (less than 200 pages) and has a good cover, as you can see.
While I read Inexcusable in one sitting, it took me a bit longer to get through AYM.  This really isn't a reflection upon AYM, it's probably because Inexcusable was just so SO good.  AYM is a pretty depressing book throughout.  Set in a dying town, I don't remember if the name was mentioned, but I don't think so.  Apparently there isn't much work and most kids don't go on to further their education after high school.
This is the story of two brothers, Robert and Alexander, or Xan as he likes to be called.  It is told through the POV is Robert, the older brother.  Robert is a likable guy.  Making the best of things in his dying town.  He tells us that he has a girl friend, works part time and is going to school at the community college.  He is a good son and a good brother.  Not a perfect brother, but it is easy to forgive him.  If he was portrayed as being too amazing in the brother department, the book wouldn't work as well as it does.
We learn right off that Xan is troubled.  He was the boy always picked on, always on the outside looking in, always just a bit....off.   He is easily influenced and very emotional and as the story progresses, he comes under the spell of a potentially dangerous extremist group.
The end keeps you on your seat....it's almost like seeing a train wreck about to happen.
Great book.  I am looking forward to reading more from Lynch!

No comments:

Post a Comment