What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, August 17, 2014

The World Lost

an amazing voice on July 1 of this year.  Walter Dean Myers went Home.  On a Clear Day comes out in September and so it will be the first Myers book published after his passing.  That sounds odd, I mean, it has to be the last one as well, right? But there is rumor that there are more Myers books out there, and that they will be published posthumously also.  I can't find where I read that, but I swear I did!
Myers once said, "I'll never live to write all the stories I have in my head."
On a Clear Day was a tough book for me.  I just couldn't really get into it.  I mean, it was well written and it was full of good stuff and thought-provoking stuff.  It is set in the near future, but man, I think that a lot of the bad guys in this book, the multi-national corporations who really run the world and run it with their bottom line as the only thing of any importance, I think that they are more real than we would dare to believe.  Yes, yes, yes, I am a big conspiracy theorist.  But I do think that money makes folks do evil things. And I do think that greed corrupts and so I found this book not to hard to believe.
I didn't really like any of the characters though, but I think that if this was going to be a series, I would have read the next one.  It was just too intriguing not to.
Ah...but now WDM is gone...so I don't think that will be happening.  But it is something I will want to ask him about for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment